The Queen's Royal Lancers and Nottinghamshire Yeomanry Museum



The Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry

Raised as the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry in 1794, the regiment deployed on several occasions in the 19th Century to maintain law and order in the local area.

From the saddle to armour

Since 1900 it has served overseas in the Boer War and both World Wars. After the Cold War the Sherwood Rangers, equipped with armoured cars, transferred to the Queen's Own yeomanry as part of NATO's Rapid Reaction Corps. It was re-designated again in 1999 as an armoured squadron of the Royal Yeomanry, trained to crew Challenger 2, and later as a CBRNR (Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear) Reconnaissance Regiment. It deployed to Iraq in 2004 in armoured reconnaissance vehicles. Men have also served in Bosnia, Kosovo and Afghanistan.

Iraq / Afghanistan Gallery (click to enlarge)